Monday, April 9, 2012

It's all about the PROCESS!



I first learned about “process art” when I was in college, that is art that allows children to explore colors, textures, tools, mixed media with no intended outcome (more info can be found here: http://www.brightring.com/FAQ.html).  Even as a child I was a big fan of collage art as I never quite developed drawing skills. That is not to say I never liked crafts—I did and I still do, but I now value that self-expression and discovery can come from enabling children to take part of a process and let go of the idea of an end product.  We took the idea even further when I worked at a preschool that embodied “process not product,” not only the art was open-ended—any project be it science, drama, cooking, or sensory was more about the process than a desired outcome.  I had to remind my self of these ideals over the weekend.  I had seen some great ideas for using natural dyes for Easter eggs on Pinterest…sounds right up my alley.  I didn’t want to have to purchase too many extra ingredients or items that I wouldn’t use.  I thought to myself that since Roo is still so young, she may not even enjoy it this year and because of that I decided to choose one color and assumed that since when you cook beets just about everything turns red/pink, that is what we would use.  We love beet and goat cheese salads, so I knew nothing would go to waste.  I did have to buy white eggs, since the eggs we normally buy are brown.  I boiled the beets in the morning and reserved the cooking liquid.


 Little Roo was interested in placing the eggs into the water and occasionally taking a peek at them. 


Sadly, the nice rosy hue I had dreamed up never happened. 


Instead, we got the lovely shade of brown that the eggs I normally buy are! 



The good news is that, we had fun experimenting with natural dyes and enjoyed a great salad for lunch.  I am sure many more times in my parenting adventures projects will not go the way I had planned, but as long as we can learn something in the process, I will not consider them failures!

No comments:

Post a Comment