Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Family Meal Monday---Sweet Potato Soup and Kale Chips



There is nothing like a rainy day to make a batch of soup!  We have come to realize how much extra sodium is in packaged soups.  Last fall/winter I began broadening my soup making repertoire.  One of our favorites is Sweet Potato Soup.  I portion some out for Little Roo (allowing time to cool) and then add in chipotle peppers (I am kind of obsessed with them!) 


 I put some dried fruit and nuts in the bowl before serving the soup.  A little sweetness and crunch in the soup is delicious! 



 As you can see, I had a willing helper in the kitchen, mashing and sampling the sweet potatoes.  Luckily, the girl loves to wash her hands so we alternated smashing and washing.




The only other adaptation from the recipe we make it that my husband prefers a thicker, chunkier soup so rather than blending the soup, I just bake the sweet potatoes until they are really soft and mashable and don’t blend it at all.


We recently came across a huge bag of kale at BJ’s for a very small price.  I knew that it was a super food, but I hadn’t ever used it in my cooking.  I banked on Pinterest providing me with some great ideas!  I found making Kale Chips so easy, and they turn out crunchy, and yummy!! I don’t like the smell in the house as they bake, but it is a small price to pay for nutritious food.  Other seasonings can be used; I like them with chili powder!

No comments:

Post a Comment