Wednesday, June 20, 2012

To Gift Or Not To Gift??






Why is it so hard to respect a “no-gift” request for a child’s birthday party?  I am serious….I will be making a similar request when Little Roo turns two in a couple months, so why when I am asked to just come to celebrate a little boy turning one do I immediately think “I should at least get him something little?!”  I think there are many reasons to make the request of friends to skip gift giving.  Financial burden, child already has plenty of toys, parent wanting to ensure toys fit with their philosophy, burden of time and effort-- to name a few.  That being said, traditions become hard-wired in us and we can’t imagine a birthday without presents or cake.  We know that this child is going to get presents, even if it is not from us. Yet, we still have trouble respecting the parents’ wishes, which would actually make our lives just a little easier. The first party Little Roo was ever invited to had a “no gift” request, which I promptly I ignored.  Some of the other party-goers listened and I, in turn, unintentionally made them feel bad for not bringing a gift.  I was excited for the party and thought that I would never be able to show up without a gift.  Nearly a year later, Little Roo has a lot of friends that will all be celebrating birthdays every year.  From my perspective, I have started to realize that can really add up!   This time around, I decided to make a little something for the birthday boy instead….I guess I would still feel bad showing up “empty-handed.”  I made a small batch of play dough, stuck it in a cupcake liner and added a candle.  This would also make a cute party favor!  What are your thoughts on birthday parties with "no gifts??"


2 comments:

  1. I have this same sentiment towards "no gifts" parties. It's so hard to know what to do! Do I bring a gift and risk making other rule followers feel bad or not bring a gift and risk my own embarrassment??? I think a handmade gift is a great solution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete