Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Read Across America Day


Simple, toddler friendly Read Across America Day Celebration!!

We read MANY books everyday, but I wanted to pay tribute to the great Dr. Seuss.

I was bummed when first I missed the Target storytime for Read Across America Day, then found out that our local library wasn’t even reading Dr. Seuss books for storytime this week.  What is a former teacher to do??...  plan our own little celebration, of course!!  Luckily, I was babysitting, so I had more than one little one to share the fun with!  First, I dug out all the Dr. Seuss books I own, and borrowed a few of the simpler texts Hop on Pop and Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You? Roo owns a very cute organic cotton Cat in the Hat stuffed animal that had been given to us by her great Aunt…I pulled that out as well.  I had seen a lot of craft and snack ideas to celebrate the life of Dr. Seuss, but none seemed quite right for these young toddlers….they would not understand the ideas behind them quite yet.  They actually both enjoy spinach and eggs..(green eggs?!?) but, I didn’t even think of that at the time.  I decided to do a simple take on the famous hat.  I cut strips of red and white paper and taped contact paper, sticky side up to the table.  Then, I let them explore both the “sticky paper” and the stripes.  It is funny how each of the toddlers' personalities came through in their artwork!  My little Roo tapped her fingers on the sticky paper and placed one stripe at a time, not overlapping much, at first.  Addie had more fun exploring the stripes, dropping them on the floor and sticking handfuls onto the sticky paper.  They even listened to some of Dr. Seuss’ stories and did not destroy the paper books that they are not quite used to (we prefer the indestructible board books around here!)  The best part was that I had all the supplies on hand!! 

What did you do to celebrate the works of Dr. Seuss??  


1 comment:

  1. Yay! Thanks so much for doing this Project with them Mariette! We have it hanging on our wall :)

    ReplyDelete